Test Text

You turned my weeping into dancing; You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give You thanks forever. Ps 30:11-12

Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

I Don't Know What He wants me to do: Names of Jesus

Hebrews 12:1-2

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.


Mostly we think life is about us.  But I read recently that life is not about us at all.  That we are not that important and that our lives are not about us.  (Dr Siang-Yang Tan, Rest: Experiencing God's Peace in a Restless World)  I found this jolting and not undiscouraging.
But this verse says the race is marked out for us.  The lines, the tracks the end flags - are all already in place.  What is left is for us to run; through fog and rain, even when we can hardly see the few steps in front of us.  It says we should, instead of looking for the lines, the crowd, our aching legs, we must fix our eyes on Jesus.  And here is the most encouraging thing; apart from the fact that the race is already set, we can't mess up the track - is that He is the finisher, He is the perfecter, He is the One that will get us to the end.  What a great weight I feel is lifted from my shoulders! 
If I should wander and go off course, He as the perfecter, like a gentle GPS, simply redirects me back onto the route that He originally set.  When I run ahead, he will slow the course down, when I give up and sit down, He will lift my head and help me to see how to continue; He is my lap setter; He is my guide, He is the one who knows the way I should go because He set the course.  He is my water bearer and my coach, He holds me when I stumble and He is the one who will cross the finish line with me and be there smiling, to congratulate me and give me my prize.  It is His race and far from wondering when my race will start and where the start is, what He wants me to do for Him - the truth is this: the race has already started and I am already running.  What is my purpose?  To look at Him and run; looking at Him being a selfless act of worship.  My purpose, my ministry is my husband, children, friends, family, the people around me, the people I meet.  What must I do?  Love them, honour them, serve and minister to them, speak of His goodness, live out His Word. 


No comments:

Post a Comment